Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Blog # 8 Sheltered Instruction



 

I noted the following strategies used to shelter instruction in the videos:

v  Explicit instructions, including content and language objectives

¨      Objectives posted and discussed with students

v  Explicit teaching of reading strategies to support comprehension

¨      Visualizing

¨      Questioning

¨      Inferring

¨      Summarizing

¨      Teacher modeling of strategy use

v  Vocabulary instruction to support comprehension

¨      Vocabulary presented in context, with picture

¨      Use of synonyms

¨      Meaningful stories to connect to students’ backgrounds

v  Building background knowledge before beginning instruction

¨      Introduction and practice inferring before applying in the new text

¨      Guided questions used to focus students’ thinking

v  Hands-on activities

¨      Sticky notes used for students to apply reading strategies in text

v  Review strategies

¨      Review of past and currently taught reading strategies

¨      Opportunity to clarify misunderstandings

 

Reflection:

The teacher prepares lessons so students are able to access learning.  The teacher builds upon students’ background knowledge and previous lessons to make new learning comprehensible.  She has a method for allowing students to clarify what they do not understand.    Students seemed engaged, although one student seemed to be responding orally much more than others.  Although the importance of group work was mentioned, I did not observe it.  The During Reading video and the Post Reading video were the same, so perhaps I missed some group work occurring during reading.

Cheryl Schall

 

4 comments:

  1. Cheryl,
    I like how you broke down the skills by activity. I also thought a key component to her lesson was building upon background knowledge and constant references. She seemed like a conscientious teacher who understands her students learning techniques. Thanks for your reflection.
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl,

    I really like how you broke the strategies down. They were very easy to follow! I felt the moderator also made reference to group work a few times. I would have liked to see this take place to get an idea of what it would look like with that lesson and class. I had the same recording as well for the during and after reading, so maybe we just missed it!
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Amberlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl,

    I also noticed the same video twice, but Jennifer referred to the teacher reading to the students. I think I must have missed that, I also would have liked to see what group work like like on this level, since I work with the small kids.

    Thank you for the way that you broke down your notes by strategy. Very clear. Also, I am now realizing that I should have posted my notes. Drat!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the method of post-it notes that the teachers used for students to clarify information they don't know. I also liked how she re-used the information they collected from reading on the diary board. I think this helped students keep track of their learning and how it was connected to the objective.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete