Blog # 5 Scaffolding Comprehension with Children’s Books
I selected two books I would use with primary English
Language Learners and examined them for challenges learners might face when
encountering the texts.
The first book I selected is called Alfie is Not Afraid, by Patricia Carlin.
Possible challenges and ideas to address them:
1.
The concept of
camping out.
Use the pictures and give a brief explanation of
camping. Ask students to share their
experiences with camping, if any.
2.
Words that intentionally do not match the pictures are
used to create humor.
Ask students if the expression of the main character, Alfie,
matches the words. Explain that the
words do not match the pictures.
3.
The word peanut is used for a dog in the story.
A quick explanation is sufficient.
4.
The vocabulary alien invasion and boa constrictor.
Pointing to the picture is sufficient.
When working with ELL’s, focus on a limited amount of
vocabulary and your teaching objectives.
Often a quick definition and a picture clue is enough scaffolding for
students to comprehend.
The second book I selected is She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain, by Jonathan Emmett.
Possible challenges and ideas to address them:
1.
Use of the
contraction she’ll.
Direct instruction of the contraction and its meaning.
2.
Use of the word round instead of around.
Explanation that round is used like the word around in the
story
3.
Use of onomatopoeia throughout the text.
Prior to reading, give examples students will be familiar
with such as the sounds for cats, dogs, and ducks. Ask students to listen for more sounds as
they enjoy the story.
4.
Nonsensical content of the story.
Set the purpose for the reading. Explain that some books are silly and are
meant to make the reader laugh.
Hi Cheryl,
ReplyDeleteGreat books! I really enjoyed seeing your idea of animal sounds. Using pictures and the sounds these animals make is a great idea. Onomatopoeia is a fun concept for students. However, I have found most of my students, at 5th grade, have a hard time remembering the definition. This would not only benefit ELL, but every student. I also like the camping out concept. Even setting up a "tent" while you read would be fun. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!
Cheryl,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post. I love reading books that provide humor for children, but I absolutely agree that ELL students may struggle with the humor in the story. I was also told that once you understand the jokes in a foreign language, you have a good handle of the language. I would imagine understanding humor in a story would be similar. I also liked that your strategies to teach the various concepts. The strategies were quick and simple but very effective. I did notice that it may require having a discussion with the children prior to reading the story. I have also felt that any picture book can be a learning opportunity if teachers plan ahead. I think your strategies could be included in just about any lesson.
Thanks,
Jen
Cheryl,
ReplyDeleteYour blog was very organized and easy to read--Thank you. When I was reading about "camping," I visualized a teacher setting up a tent, and going inside to read the story. It's amazing to me, that no matter the book, there are challenges to each that must be met, so that all students understand the concept, but especially ELL students. I also really liked that you would have students share their experiences of camping if they had any. I love it when students can learn from their peers and also project their memories. Thanks for your post, and have a great weekend.
Helena