Saturday, January 12, 2013

Week 1 Blog # 2 Writing Instruction


Blog # 2 Writing Instruction

 

The writing instruction I deliver to students more closely matches the acquisition view, as outlined on page 29 in the Freeman text (Freeman & Freeman, p. 29).  Students use the writing process to produce authentic writing.  Topics are selected by the student, although there are often some guidelines from the teacher.  Students’ messages are valued over the correctness of writing conventions.  Peer conferencing and student led teacher-student conferences occur routinely.  Standard writing conventions, however, are not ignored.  Mini-lessons are guided by student work.  Students are held accountable in their published writing for conventions taught.

 

As a student, my early memories of receiving writing instruction are hazy.  I remember enjoying writing and feeling I had the freedom to be creative, without much worry about correctness. Therefore, I think the instruction I received more closely resembles the acquisition view of writing.  During junior high and high school, I recall more instruction that was intended to help me to produce correct, if formulaic writing. 

 

Resource:

 

Freeman, D. E., & Freeman, Y. S. (2004). Essential linguistics, what you need to know to teach reading, esl, spelling, phonics, and grammar. Heinemann Educational Books. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment